Friday, April 22, 2005

typhoid

As is destined to happen, I’ve been blogging many times but my server and I have had several disagreements and he gets the last word or, lack of it by dumping mine!

We are dealing with Typhoid in Fiji. There have been several cases in various other islands (over 300 Fijian Islands) and I believe 1 death directly related to Typhoid. Before we left Canada, we did get vaccinated against this beast but Elias was too little to deal with it. He is vulnerable. Also, being pregnant makes me wonder if the unborn is susceptible too. Will have to look into that. It has been raining, not cats and dogs, but cows and cars. We get close to being flooded at our place and in low lying areas they are flooded. There has been 1 drowning due to the floods. With all the rain, and not a lot of drying time, the mosquitoes have moved in and they carry the Dengue Fever. Not a good combo. Dengue and Typhoid. We will try to avoid both. The radios are warning people to boil water unless you are sure that your water is ok. Yesterday our water turned brown, so now we boil too.
On another note, baby related, one of the major hospitals lost 5 babies in one weekend. All due to exposure of disease within the hospital itself. All exposed to the same respiratory/ventilator machine that was heavily drenched in bacteria. The very machine that was being used to resuscitate these newborns actually killed them. The other major hospital in Lautoka has a 40% death rate in newborns. And this is the “maternity” hospital.
So, I pray to make the right decision about where to have my last baby. Or guidance or a lighting bolt from Heaven, I’ll take them all or just one. It seems like an obvious choice when you read what I’ve typed but at the same time there are plenty of other factors that make this a nice place to have a baby. I live here for one, my home is here, and there is one good hospital 3 hours away. I’m not eager to get on a plane with a swollen tummy and fly for up to 15 hours. More than likely that trip would be me and the boys alone as Gerry would not be able to get that much time off and we couldn’t afford it anyway. He may not be even able to make it for the birth as these things are not exact science. (due dates) I don’t have the dial-up time to go into all the pros and cons. But I am open to all the prayers we can get. 24-7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home