Tuesday, March 16, 2004

As I type this I can hear some really loud thunder. We've had a few amazing storms but nothing like a cyclone, yet....There are some days when it rains so much that the alleys and gulleys around here turn into rivers and pools. Thanks for my covered terrace area or we'd never have dry clothes! Have I ever mentioned what a pain in the "large-area" all the creepy crawlers are here? I just had to stop and scratch my leg due to a bite from a bug so small,I need a magnifying glass to see it? It's bite is worse than it's whole body! And the ants...red ants..(fire ants) when they bite, oi lei, you know it! It feels like your foot is on fire (if that's where the get you) and it lasts for some time. Then there are the "bonk" ants. They don't seem to bite, just walk around and bonk each other in the head as they pass....if they miss, they run around like crazy trying to get caught up, all the other ants get mixed up because they follow each other, it calls for intervention, just to get them bonking their head again. I try to "shoo" them in the right direction, get them caught up, if they are too stupid to figure that out, I squash them. Then they start all over, bonk and crawl..bonk and crawl..bonk and crawl...idiots. The mosquitoes here look harmless enough, compared to the ones in Yellowknife, however, these "suckers" pack a punch. Good thing they have "tropical" strength mosquito spray. It works great but may be causing long term lung problems! kidding! The last two mornings I have entered the kitchen to find a cockroach on its back....the only way a cockroach should be. At least I know my traps and spraying is working. These are only small ones at about an inch long. We have stick bugs and rhino beetles, big juicy spiders and what other bugs were on " A Bugs Life" ? Some of the local kids have told me to kill the praying mantis when we see them, "in case they pee in your eye" they say! After I sprayed them with coffee, I asked them why I'd ever let one pee in my eye! It was funny at the time. There is also centipedes, but we smash them before they get a chance to grow too big and "pee in my eye" as well. It seems to me that these creatures have bad toilet habits..peeing in everyones eyes..of all the nerve!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home