Thursday, May 06, 2004

Yesterday, I bought fish out of the back of someones' truck. While this is not at all odd in most places, the fellas drove slowly down our road blowing on a conch shell....announcing their arrival. I wondered if King Triton and Ariel were about to swim up! You can also buy fish at the beach right out of the nets ( but you have to get up REAL early to do that) or you can drive up and down any major roadway and see fish vendors displaying their products in various ways. Mostly just laying them down on a tarp under the hot sun and waving a branch once in a while to scatter the flies. Or, they hold them up as you drive by. I personally enjoy the "fish tree" The fish are attached to a string and then hung on many branches of the tree. That may have caused me to at least slow down and laugh. I even had the urge to go buy one from the "fishtree" Hmmm I wonder how they taste. I wonder what other "trees" I can find in Fiji..Perhaps the ellusive "moneytree" Well, nothing beats the door-to-door salesman bringing fish to your frontgate and announcing his arrival with his really big seashell! 6 Parrot fish for 5 bucks. They were almost too pretty to eat. Almost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home